By: Elaine Vidal, Food Hub Coordinator, Muncie Food Hub Partnership—
Muncie, IN—Join farmers, business owners, policy makers, educators, non-profits, health professionals, and food lovers of all types for the second annual Local Food Summit on Wednesday, October 25th at the Ball State University Alumni Center.
The Local Food Summit of Muncie and East Central Indiana seeks to bring together stake holders to build a more equitable, sustainable, and resilient local food system. This year’s event will feature an address from Representative Sue Errington highlighting current legislative efforts to increase food access and improve food infrastructure across Indiana. Rep. Errington will be joined by Lindsay Way of the Fair Food Network offering lessons and opportunities from the Double Up Food Bucks program in Michigan. A complete agenda is available here.
Expect illuminating presentations, valuable networking opportunities, and delicious local food. Ball State University Dining Services will cater lunch and snacks with ingredients and products sourced from local growers and makers of artisanal goods. Don’t miss the opportunity to find your new favorite local treat!
The Local Food Summit is collaboratively organized by the Muncie Food Hub Partnership, Purdue Extension, Edible Muncie of Delaware County Inc., and the Office of Community Engagement at Ball State University. Last year the event drew over 100 participants from across ECI. This year’s objectives include:
• Share current initiatives among food access organizations working to create a more resilient, equitable, and sustainable food system.
• Identify barriers to food access and generate community based solutions.
• Solicit input from stakeholder groups to inform development of the Muncie Food Hub.
• Identify leadership and create development plan for a regional food council to shape local food policy and actions.
• Strengthen the network of area community gardens through learning from the past and planning for the future.
We hope you are able to join us in supporting our local and regional food systems on October 25th. For more information and to register for the Local Food Summit, click here. Half day registration (AM or PM) is offered for $20. Full day registration which includes lunch is offered for $30. A limited number of scholarships are available. Questions? Contact Elaine Vidal at 703-615-7452 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We hope to see you on the 25th.